Sunday, October 09, 2005

first week of school

I know, it´s been a long time since I last wrote. Sorry about that.

I started classes this week at the elementary school. Things are going well, but the other language assistant hasn´t arrived yet, so I´m spending all day at the school. Hopefully once she arrives, I can cut 1 hour off my work day. The biggest problem is that the commute is 2 hours -- each way. The good news is that it´s all public transportation, so I can listen to my iPod (best bday present ever!) or read my book (getting close to the end of the 800-page novel I brought with me) and keep occupied.

The kids are cute. I would note a slight lack of discipline (as in, they don´t like to be quiet and listen), but that´s probably normal for a group of +/-20 6-year-olds, especially since we teach completely in English, of which they know very little.

Things at the house are going fine. Don´t feel "at-home" kind of comfortable yet, but that´s ok. I sleep there, eat there, and work there... and spend my weekends with my friends from the church. The girls are totally spoiled and have some trouble with authority, but for the most part we get along fine, and I can already see an improvement in their English.

Yesterday was Isaac´s birthday, so we wandered around the city seeing new (for me) places and riding the cable car that goes over the city. In the evening was Bible study, and of course he got treated to dinner when we all went out afterwards. Today at lunch someone had made a cake for him and we all sang "cumpleaños feliz." 24... how ancient ;)

Tomorrow is back to the daily grind. However (one serious benefit of living in Spain) they have mid-week holidays sometimes. So... Wed is a holiday (I don´t know what we´re celebrating, but who cares?). I also don´t know what I´m going to do, but I´m sure it will include seeing my friends from church.

To those of you who have sent emails, keep them coming! I hate that I can´t usually respond personally, but with approx 1 hour/week of internet access, I can´t even reply to my own mother! So don´t feel bad...

Soli Deo Gloria...

No comments: