Tuesday, March 28, 2006

overcoming the "reluctance"

You're getting a two-for-the-price-of-one this week, and since I know you aren't expecting it I'll go ahead and warn you -- if you missed out on yesterday's posting, read it before you continue with this one or you'll be a bit lost.

So, I didn't want to go to the doctor, but I knew I needed to. The doctor that is covered under my insurance here is only open from 11:30-12:30 M-F and I couldn't decide if I should ask off one job (at the school) to go there, or ask off the other (at home) to go to an emergency clinic and beg Isaac to come with me so I wouldn't be alone.

When I got to school this morning, I decided I would ask what I needed to do if I wanted to go to the doctor (i.e. get permission from the Principal, sign a form... who knows). However (I'll admit the weakness), I was so stressed and worried about it that I started bawling. My coworker/supervisor, Sandra, pulled me aside and was like "are you OK?" I explained that I was nervous about going to the doctor... and she offered to go with me!! I felt really bad, but she said she didn't mind.

We left after my first class and she was very understanding. The doctor was a very nice, older gentleman. He explained that the normal cold virus has been accompanied by a bacteria this year, making it harder to fight. He prescribed me an antibiotic (thanks to Sandra I explained that I am allergic to Penicillin) and Paracetamol, which apparently is Tylenol (yeah for doing internet research). He also recommended some "home remedies" like eating a spoonful of honey with a few drops of lemon, gargling salt water, and boiling Eucalyptus leaves to breathe the air better or something.

Overall, I am glad Sandra came with me, although I probably could have handled it by myself. She served as a "mom-figure" for a scared little girl who was apparently so nervous that she turned to her right when the doctor said to make a left at the end of the hall :) It was nice to have an extra set of ears, and to have her be able to explain some things to me better after we left. Apparently she had warned their teacher that we would miss English class due to a doctor visit, so when we went in to Science this afternoon, all my cute kiddos asked if I felt better. It was precious.

The best part is that I ended the day having spent less than 8€... amazing difference from all the co-pays I would've been charged in the States. Of course, that doesn't include all the money I dropped shopping to celebrate my victory, but that's a story for another day...

Soli Deo Gloria..

No comments: