Saturday, February 20, 2010

Oh, the irony!

I went to Costco yesterday after a short day at work and lunch with a friend, to investigate their organic/natural/healthy options and get an idea of what kind of prices they had. I had no intention of buying anything because I was completely out of grocery money (literally ran out at the checkout at EarthFare on Wednesday... had to put something back and the guy still had to waive about a dollar for me -- oops! how embarrassing! but I digress...). I wandered around for almost an hour I'd guess, jotting down notes of what I was finding - perhaps I'll put them in another post later. Anyway, as I wrapping up, my hubby called to say he was on his way home from work, and requested that I buy him some bags of chips to take to work with him - he was even willing to pay for them with his "allowance"! I used my "allowance" money that I happened to have with me. The total was $10.70 and I bought 1 box of 50 Frito-Lay brand chip bags.

Today, while his car was being inspected, we went to Harris Teeter to get in on some Super Doubles. The pickin's are often slim on these weeks (harder-core couponers than I were already out to get the best deals first-thing Wednesday morning!), but I found most of what I wanted. I ended up with:

  • 1 box of Quaker Quick Oats
  • 2 bags of Quaker Mini Rice Cakes
  • 1 Polaner All-Fruit Spread (Black Cherry - to mix things up) 
  • 2 small boxes of Kotex Pantiliners
  • 1 pound of Tilapia (2 filets)
  • 2 half gallons of Edy's ice cream (Spumoni and Mint Choc. Chip!)
  • 1 half gallon of Tropicana OJ
  • 2 8 oz bricks of Organic Valley Cream Cheese
  • 2 4-packs of Dannon Light & Fit yogurt cups
  • 6 Yoplait Whips yogurt cups
  • 1 Chobani yogurt cup
  • 1 half pint of Organic Valley Heavy Whipping Cream
  • 2 Blistex chapsticks
A fairly random selection, I know,  but that's what you do when you use coupons.  Get what's on sale, and use it in the upcoming weeks.  Anyway, wanna know the best part?  My total was $10.80.

Now, which purchase is more likely to provide sustenance for a family of two for a week?  See the irony?

Soli Deo Gloria

No comments: