Thursday, May 20, 2010

7th Abs. Org. Delivery

Life has been a little hectic lately (parents' move, end-of-school-year chaos), so forgive me for not posting about my last produce delivery.  I'm excited about today's, and I've got some numbers for you - yeah for numbers!
Since my last delivery, I turned another year older (remember the deep freeze?), and my parents were kind enough to gift me this Salter Digital Kitchen Scale.  My Mom never used a kitchen scale while I was growing up, but in the last several months I've felt like it would be handy to have.  A friend said she loved her Salter, so I asked specifically for that one.  I've used it several times (to weigh potatoes in this Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie recipe, for example) and am very happy so far.  Necessary?  Of course not.  Fun?  Absolutely!
Today I put it to good use and weighed my Absolute Organics produce.  Here are the results:

  • 1 large and 2 small broccoli crowns (1 lb 9 oz)
  • 1 lb 8 ozs bananas (4 ct)
  • 1 head of lettuce
  • 1 lb strawberries
  • 7.75 oz white mushrooms
  • 2.75 lbs apples
  • 1 avocado
  • 2 green bell peppers
weighing in action!

Then, I did my little trick and hit up Harris Teeter Express Lane to check some prices.  Here's what I found:
  • Broccoli - $3.29/ea = $6.58
  • Bananas - 99¢/lb = $1.50
  • Lettuce - $2.99/head = $2.99
  • Strawberries - $3.99/lb = $3.99
  • *White Mushrooms - $3.49/lb = $1.69
  • Apples - $2.49/lb = $6.85
  • Avocado - $1.99/ea = $1.99
  • Green Peppers - $2.49/ea = $4.98
This means that if I went to Harris Teeter and purchased the SAME amount of stuff, I'd have paid $30.57!  And the mushrooms wouldn't even have been organic (it appears they don't sell fresh organic ones).  WOW!! I was thrilled.  This stuff was brought to my door for only $30.  That means I saved 57¢, the gas to get to the store, and the excuse to not buy produce because it's too expensive.  In case I had any doubts, I'm with AO for good.  Thanks, Vonda and Steve!

Soli Deo Gloria

No comments: